This whole week, along with the job search (which I’ll admit this week was paltry at best), I have been trying to watch what I eat. I’ve never actively “dieted” in my life. I mean I have counted calories or points for a few weeks at a time, or made myself protein shakes every morning for seven days, but there has never really been a lot of action on my part. Plus the minute my brain tends to hear the word “DIET” all I think about us food. All the time. It turns into a huge chore and my willpower is non-existent so I fail. This round I’m going to focus on portions and (try and) cut out my trigger foods. Let’s see how that goes…
10 Things That Will be a Bitch to Give Up.
10. French Fries. This isn’t one of my crave like crazy foods, but my family likes to go out to eat a lot-and what is ALWAYS on the side of a meal? French fries. To give up French fries for fruit (usually melons, too-YUCK), or to just ask for the main course with no side is foreign to me. French fries! They are an American institution!
9. Pasta. I blame my best friend for this. I used to HATE Italian food. Every part of it. One day he craved Italian so I went with him to a chain called Fazoli’s (do they even exist anymore?), and he gave me a bite of his Chicken Alfredo. Game over, man. Ever since Fettuccini has been my poison. And we all know what Alfredo sauce essentially is, right? CREAM, BUTTER, and CHEESE. Shit.
8. Temptation. Okay-this isn’t a food. But we all know that sometimes food is either handed to you or in the general vicinity for you to go wild on. This is a bad for me. Someone brought donuts? Okay, I’ll have one. It’s rude to say no to food, right? Right???
7. Sugar. This one is non-specific because anything with sugar in it is crack to me. Candy bars, cookies, cakes, desserts, pie…and fake sugar? No. Fake sugar is just a lie. It’s like getting ready to feel boobs for the first time and realizing they are silicone. It’s a jip! Plus, I can't just have a fun size candy bar. Or one cookie. If they are there I will eat them every time.
6. Fast Food. Like I said, we go out a lot. In Australia, my husband and I had one cheat day where we got to go to either Red Rooster or McDonalds. Now I’m home, and I can get Panda, or KFC, or Weinerschnitzel, or Chick-fil-A…the list goes on and on. When I’m hungry, the last thing I want to do is go home and plan a balanced freaking meal!
5. Mexican Food. The other day my mom and I were watching my niece all day, and we were set to meet my grandpa for lunch. She wanted Mexican food. I told her no, because there is absolutely nothing healthy at an authentic Mexican restaurant. “You can have a taco salad!” Just…no. Unfortunately we went to Bob’s Big Boy where I got chicken fingers and-French fries! Damn it!
4. Ice Cream-As stated in my guilty pleasures that I posted a few days ago, my definition of ice cream is a creamy, rich, melty cup of awesome. Over the last few years they have really made some advancements of the low-fat ice cream variety such as Weight Watchers, Skinny Cow, and many variations of them are available everywhere. So hopefully this can be one that will be an easy transition.
3. Lethargy. Again, not a food. But Hed and activity just don’t mix. I think I can actually say that I value sleep over food. That being said, I know in order to lose weight I need to do something other than getting out of bed and walking to my computer chair. Ugh.
2. Cream Cheese-Veggie style on a bagel. Cheesecake. WONTONS. Cheese ball. The richest of all food, cream cheese has spread over my heart. Thank Jeebus for Hungry Girl, as she has actually come up with recipes that call for cream cheese but still tend to be low-calorie. And they’re GOOD!
1. Ranch Dressing. This one, my friends, is my fat girl deal breaker. I don’t care what you say, low-calorie or fat free ranch is shit. I have put ranch on everything since I was a toddler. Meat. French fries. Salad. Baked potatoes. Tomatoes. Celery. It’s kind of my thing to say “and a side of ranch please?” when I’m out for dinner. I want to hold my bottle of Hidden Valley like a child holding a toy, and throw a tantrum if anyone tries to take it away. I love ranch SO MUCH!!!
I would love (LOVE!) any suggestions you may have to help me in my “diet” woes…what worked for you? What have you found that is a good substitute for above?
PS-I hit 45! You know what that means? Contest details tomorrow. This one will be fun, I promise!
PPS-Last day to vote on the poll-break the tie between soda and coffee, will ya?