Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Oh man…

HI EVERYBODY! I feel like I’m so behind with my blog and all the blogs I follow-and even after only being here for four days I’m already twice as busy as I was in Australia. I need to wake up and check my blogs with a cup of coffee starting tomorrow! First off, I wanted to tell you the results of last week’s poll. A whopping 32 people voted, and with 59% of the vote Freddy Mercury was the singer you would most want to see in concert one last time, followed by John Lennon/George Harrison with 15% and Jim Morrison with 12%. The new poll will be up after this post, so VOTE!

My flight out from Townsville was at 5:55am on Friday, and as much as I attempted to sleep the night before, every time I would close my eyes I would start to cry because I knew it would be the last time in a long time I would be sleeping near my husband. So I ended up staying awake all night (which is a good thing since I’m terrified of planes-I wanted to be as sleepy as possible). J sent me off, and I burst into tears no less than three times while saying my goodbyes. The worst was waiting in line on the plane to get to your seat, because the lump in my throat was so big but I didn’t want to be a mess so I held it in.

In Brisbane I pleaded to change my ticket from a middle (ugh) seat to a window seat. I told the lady, “I’m terrified of flying, and I tend to curl up into a ball, is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE I could switch it to a window seat? Pretty please?” After she said no she made a call without me prompting and switched it for me. Yay! I board the plane and realize the seat next to me is occupied by…a baby. The seat in front of me? A baby. Shit. He was so adorable I couldn’t even be mad when he kicked me with his little baby feet, and he ended up being really well-behaved.

On a scale of one to ten, I give the flight a five-because there was crappy turbulence for about four hours, and three Xanax failed to put me to sleep. I attempted to watch “Inception”, but about halfway in I realized how much I hate Christopher Nolan and his intricate plots (sorry Drake!). I did end up watching my girl Angelina Jolie in “Salt” (6 Hed stars) and “Dinner for Schmucks” (4 Hed stars-even with Jemaine Clement in it!).

During “Inception” I guess I must have dozed off, because when I woke up the flight attendant was about three rows ahead of me and my seatmates were eating. I did a polite hand gesture to let the attendant know I was awake whenever she had time to get to me. A few minutes later she came over and let me know there was only fish left and no more beef casserole (gross and gross!). I told her no thanks, that I was allergic to fish. Okay, I’m not allergic to fish…but I’ve been on enough flights to know that they REALLY want you to eat something, but I didn’t want to waste any food so I just blurted it out. I thought I’ll be fine, I can just snack until we land or something. About fifteen minutes later the attendant walks over to me and hands me a meal. “From business class, dear”. My eyes light up and I tell her “oh…wow! That was very thoughtful. Thanks!” The dad in the aisle seat gave me the nod like “you suck!” as I opened the lid: Roast beef tenderloins in a mushroom wine sauce, mashed potatoes, vegetables, a salad with vinaigrette and feta cheese, and a buttery dinner roll. CHA CHING!!!

It was so cloudy when we landed in LA that we flew down from Santa Barbara. I was able to see the Hollywood sign from my seat. You know what was the first thing that made me all teary eyed? Looking down and seeing bumper to bumper traffic on the 405 Freeway. I know, right? I must be crazy, or I must really be a urbanite. Walking from the airplane to customs there was a sign that said, “Welcome to the United States of America”. I did the devil horn sign to it, like it was greeting only me and I was telling it F*CK YEAH! My best friend met up with me and took me to Hof's Hut, my favorite diner/bakery (I broke the food poll!). Ordered a patty melt, french fries with ranch and a salad. It was practically licked clean. Afterward I was able to meet his new baby. He’s so teeny! We had planned to hang out longer, but the mixture of lack of sleep and jet lag kicked my ass and he took me home.

I slept from noon Friday to five in the morning Saturday, only waking up to eat the Italian Beef sandwich my mom had gotten me for dinner at Portillo's. Heaven. It was heaven! I barely remember my mom and grandpa walking in my room to say hi and hug me while I was sleeping, or my mom waking me up for dinner. It’s all a blur! Saturday we went to Target so I could pick up toiletries (my luggage was so full I had to leave things for my husband to bring over in June), and so I could get my new phone, a Droid Incredible. I love it SO MUCH! That morning we went to IHOP and I had a fried chicken salad and for dinner my mom and I made homemade pork marsala (which was chosen as “the first meal I should eat when I land”). Oh and FYI, as much as I’m going on and on about food, I have only eaten those meals-no snacks or crap in between. I really want to keep my portions Australian-sized instead of American-sized!

Tomorrow I will fill you in with the details of Sunday to today, as a LOT has gone on-and most of it is not good. Don’t fret-I mean everything is fine, but some big scares to tell you all about. I miss J like crazy, but I am so, so, SO glad to be home!

  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati


  1. Hugs....welcome home!! I hope that all is going okay....good to see you back!

  2. SANTA BARBARA?! You flew right over Oxnard! Damn I would have waved hello! LOL.

    Glad the flight was safe.

    Hope everything is alright dear.


  3. Welcome home sweetie! Got some funny posts up for you to read that will put a smile on your face!


  4. Ah it must be nice to be home! Good to hear from you =)

  5. Glad to see you arrived safely. J will be fine, I just know it. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Hugs

  6. I've missed you Hed and so have everybody else. So glad you're home safe and sound. I can't imagine the time change and sleep schedule getting all screwed up so you'll probably be a little off for a few more days. Can't wait to hear more from you. Hugs, East Coast Mom!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...